Sunday, 14 March 2010

Backgrounds and Bentleys.

This colourwash piece has had the front completed, and now I have to add layers of applied threads and stitch. I may do a burnt overlay, but haven't decided yet.
I had a lovely day in Manchester yesterday visiting First Born. It's a place I didn't like at first glance being a very large and bustling city with it's fair share of problems, but I'm warming to it. There's certainly lots going on, and plenty to do and see.

 

My DD bought me chocs and loads of flowers for Mother's day, and we went out for lunch and a little walk around. We had some wonderful tapas, and listened to part of a Debussy concert in a local church. There is a music school nearby and this is a venue for those trying to make a name for themselves on the concert front. 

It was all very pleasant, and made even more fun, because as we came out we noticed a small crowd gathered round a huge brand new Bentley parked on double yellow lines outside a bank. The Traffic Warden was issuing a ticket much to the delight of the crowd, who cheered as it went on the windscreen. A very small piece of justice perhaps.

6 comments:

  1. of course - mothering sunday! i wondered what had prompted such largesse of flowers and chocs. we don't do mother's day here until may - although i tend to get short shrift on the day - can't remember the last time i was given a present :( will did make me a card last year with a dictated message that said he loved me because i let him eat chilli octopus and ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and the painting looks delicious - i want to lick it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great day, love all the flowers , mine are due to come tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers Annabel and what a lovely day out too. I am in awe of the way you achieve these colourwash pieces (as in the effect). Wonderful work. Would you object if I tried out something similar in a journal quilt just to see if I could do anything like it? The exercise in choosing the right shades and tones would be valuable in itself.

    I've only been to Manchester once but it has some beautiful buildings and they are good on the Arts there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The WestCountryBuddha15 March 2010 at 08:47

    Hi and thank you everyone.

    Lisette: My DH never thought to do the Mothers Day Present From The Children thing when they were small, so I had to wait a bit until they understood themselves! I think your Will will surprize you and not just because of the octopus and ice cream!! My youngest made me a card and she stuck lentils and pasta on it, and drew a little cartoon and told me why she loved me, and she's 28...it can't get better than that really xx

    Manchester is brill for the Arts Julie. I have to agree and not only because First Born works in the galleries and museums of Manchester looking after their collections. They have an Emily Pankhurst thing on at the moment, and she has promised to take me in to see behind the scenes and to look at a pre-raphaelite that she's doing some work on at the moment...just so I can see the brushwork etc. Cool or what??

    Welcome Sharon, hope you enjoy your flowers! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The WestCountryBuddha19 March 2010 at 13:49

    Sorry Julie: I forgot to answer your question. Yes! It'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete