Tuesday, 6 April 2010

On a slightly lighter note.

I had quite an amusing walk through town today.

Leamington Spa, bless it, is in the centre of England and is a bit of a sleepy well meaning place. It's very middle class and prides itself on it's parks and affluent populace.  Bit suffocating sometimes if I'm honest. Normally, on a Monday, the town is buzzing with shoppers and folk who've come to spend their hard-earned pennies in a polite and civilized way.

Not yesterday! The town was host to the first Gypsy wedding I've ever seen.  You wouldn't believe the number of orange women there were around. Fake tans put on with a paintbrush! And clothes...so many bare midriffs, fake furs, and either ugg boots or stiletto's. One young lady was standing on the pavement outside the pub (where everyone seemed to be heading) and was in a blue vulgar-lur track suit with her head full of curlers. Fancy going to a wedding in curlers.....I suppose she could have been the bride.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like some good source material there, hope you had your camera! I heard today that curlers are becoming a fashion statement (in Manchester I think it was!). Maybe it speaks of what the wearer will be doing later in the day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The WestCountryBuddha7 April 2010 at 09:04

    No, no camera that day...I would have been a bit worried about taking them anyway as they looked quite tough/rough

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am thinking fodder for your people series (did you know you were doing a people series? vbg) Thinking of that couple you painted over the collaged fabric background you know. Orange gypsies in uggs and stiletto's seem a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The WestCountryBuddha11 April 2010 at 08:37

    Hi Sheila, Yep I agree and wish I had a camera and had taken some shots. Maybe if I google Gypsy weddings, or Manchester, something will come up I could use. They would certainly be a brilliant subject.

    I get very nervous about taking photos of people without permission. If you ask them first, they invariably pose which isn't what I'm after.

    Julie's DH has kindly given me permission to use a few photos of his, so there may be something I can play with there.

    I hadn't realised I was doing a series...but I suppose I am!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about this!
    Did you see the programme about them on channel 4?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The WestCountryBuddha14 April 2010 at 11:43

    No I didn't Michala...another thing I missed. This house seems to be full of Dr Who and Top Gear!!

    ReplyDelete