Friday, 28 May 2010

Sans bees?

Where the bee sucks, there suck I. (Shakespeare, The Tempest 1611)

Except I can't because I can't find any, let alone enough to make my soul sing.



We have lost 30% of our bees, and whilst I took these photos, I only saw one, crawling slowly along the path.
On QI (TV programme in UK) I heard that if you give a flagging, sleepy, bee some honey, it recovers and carries on it's way.  So when I saw the dying one crawling along the path, I went in search of honey. I didn't have any, so I gave it a dollop of raspberry jam instead. It worked like a dream, and in future, I shall keep honey just to feed to exhausted bees.

Please remember this, and do the same if you can. Save a bee, and be merry.

6 comments:

  1. We had a bumble bee nest in our garden last year they made their home under the shed.
    I have not seen them this year yet.
    Your garden is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The WestCountryBuddha7 June 2010 at 08:46

    I'd love bees to nest in the garden, and actually went out and bought 2 bee houses...but no takers! Not the right neighbourhood obviously. But there are a few more around now than when I posted this.

    Thank you for your kind words about the garden...I never did get round to showing you the bit with the raised bed did I? Next time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully I seem to have seen loads this year so far... they seem to like pyracantha (I don't, its thorns always seem to catch me whenever I'm within a few feet of it!). So maybe yours have migrated over to South Wales...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The WestCountryBuddha8 June 2010 at 08:47

    Possibly Liz! It's getting a bit better now, but the garden is full of flowers and it's worrying to see how few bees and hoverflies there are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall have to keep an eye out and see how many bees we get in the garden. There have been a few but I haven't really been paying attention. I've done the honey on a spoon thing with sleepy bees in the past and it works. It's a great feeling to see them fly away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The WestCountryBuddha9 June 2010 at 08:59

    It's like magic isn't it? There's a few more around now...dodging the showers!

    ReplyDelete