Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Gloucester Cathedral and Art - part one

Gloucester Cathedral may be better known to some as the corridors of Hogwarts! It's cloisters are indeed beautiful, but our reason for visiting today was to see an exhibition of sculpture, called "Crucible".

I shall post more of the sculptures over the coming days as there were rather a lot to digest in one post, but I'm starting with two: Anthony Gormley's which truly moved me, and Damien Hurst's.




Close V by Anthony Gormley
















And, St Bartholomew, Exquisite Pain. Damien Hurst.







You can't quite see but the left hand holds a pair of scissors, and there are various tools at his feet.

2 comments:

  1. Anthony Gormley always astounds me because he goes through all kinds of discomforts to model for his sculptures. I think I would have found it very difficult to have looked at the Damien Hurst sculpture. It sets up all kinds of emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they both did for me as well Julie. The Hurst one is shocking because of the cold interpretation of flaying. It was the tools at the base which I found the most horrifying...more so than the skin over his arm. Still, I guess he was out to shock!

    Anthony Gormley's one didn't rely on crude shock but appealed to a higher spirituality...very moving.

    ReplyDelete