Saturday, 6 November 2010

Possibly the best sculpture in the world? DH gets emotional, and my feet just about give way.

More free stuff.

This little church took some finding, and we nearly gave up several times.  My poor feet were so tired, but DH was very keen to see this sculpture which he'd read so much about, so we searched for a considerable time.

The church was kept in almost complete darkness, and a small light illuminated the sculpture which  is of the Ecstasy of St Teresa, at the church of Maria della Vittoria.

It's by Bernini. The face on the dead woman is superb




The Altar. Also impressive in the dark.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to Rome but your posts have brought it to life. I can't believe you walked 8 and 9 hours a day, my feet are aching just thinking about it! You've certainly got stacks of source material in these photos.

    The word verification for this comment is 'bliss' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This particular day it was nearer 11 hours Julie!! Just a little time off for lunch and coffee. Because we were lost, we had no option but to walk but I was knackered! Must be my increasing age/girth. Rome was indeed bliss!

    ReplyDelete