Monday, 20 June 2011

Blocking in some colour

 A photo or two of process.

Blocking in some of the colour. Acrylics on stitched white cotton. No applique on this one; more of a wholecloth.

It helps when painting to just put layers on, moving around the picture as you go. I never think of it as finished until I can't move around any more. It's like doing a jigsaw puzzle, building slowly into a finished piece.
Putting in some stitching after the initial colouring, ready for overpainting.  I may colour the individual leaves, but will have to wait until a bit further forward before deciding....it's a matter of seeing how it goes. It won't work to mix realism in the stones and cartoon-ism(?!) in the trees.

3 comments:

  1. This is so atmospheric !The colours in those stones are wonderful, to my eye it needs very little more !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzan. The base colours are almost there, but lots more texture and depth to do....for me that it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Annabel!So restful with these gentle colours

    ReplyDelete

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...