Monday, 13 June 2011

Inspiration

I haven't done much in the last 3 weeks....I've faffed around but not achieved anything I'm happy with, so I gave myself permission for a short break in an effort to recharge the batteries.

Whilst out and about this morning I took some photos with my phone of inspiring things and thought I'd share.If you are in the Birmingham area and want something interesting to do, nip into the Museum and Art Gallery and have a look at their Pre-Raphaelites. It's free of course and you can easily spend the morning mooching around. (The Staffordshire Hoard is also here.) I enjoyed listening to the talks being given to the school children about the paintings - pitched just at my level!


The bandages on this mummy are in a log cabin design. Bet you haven't seen that connotation before!!

The bandaging apparently shows Greek and Roman influences on Egyptian mummification.  The body is that of a 17 year old male and xrays show an injury to the left hand side of the neck, and an unidentified object imbedded into the head. He was in good health otherwise so it is likely that the wounds are the cause of death.




Drawings by William Morris, as he was working out his designs.

Not very clear for which I apologise, but the level of details and the restricted colour palette interested me.

Below: You can clearly see the skeching here as he worked out his patterning.

 

A Pre-Raphaelite piccy that gave me lots of ideas of using the body in an interesting compositional way.













This picture halted me in my tracks, and I stared for ages. It's called Never Morning Wore to Evening But Some Heart Did Break, by Walter Langley 1894.

I love portraits that speak with social commentary, or inspire an emotional response. It's what I'd most like to aim for in my painting.

4 comments:

  1. I just nipped off to check and the Walter Langley painting originated in Cornwall where Langley lived and worked in Newlyn near Penzance painting the lives of local fishermen. I saw this painting down in Penzance a couple of years ago and it is very moving. I think the notes said it described the wife's loss of her fisherman husband.

    The mummy's bandaging is fascinating. I wonder what the round centres of blocks is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thank you for the explanation Julie. It was a lovely painting.

    The little centres of the blocks are terracota buttons which have been gilded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I HAVE seen that log cabin wrapping before, well, not actually like you but in a couple of magazines. Quilters Newsletter Magazine had an article on the history of the log cabin block way back in 1997, referencing the mummies at the British Museum in London and showing a pic of a cat mummy. I've also got a picture pulled out of probably Smithsonian Magazine showing the linen wrapping around the portrait of the deceased. If I remember right, these were on coffins in Egypt or maybe it was Greece. Yeah, more likely Greece. Highly unlike me not to notate the particulars on that one, but I know I pulled it because the woman's face was so haunting and I loved this proof that the log cabin design is so much older than most quilt historians were willing to admit back then.

    Oh, the William Morris - now THAT's a lot of detail. So beautiful, just love his work, and WORK it was!

    And that painting - it would have stopped me in my tracks too... Thanks for sharing all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure I saw the original of this painting at a museum in Hungary and it is a tear jerker.

    Susan in Ga

    ReplyDelete