Saturday, 16 July 2011

Sketchbook pages, and finished Stones and Lizards.

I've decided it's harder to make a present than do a commission, and both are harder than pleasing just yourself!

 All done bar the hanging sleeve and label.



Below:
Close up of lizards. Can you see the third one? I've enlarged the photo and altered the contrast so he shows up.


There is a fourth, but I'm not saying where in case the recipient of the gift is tuning in. Hope she likes it!

I quite liked the trees. In the end I didn't go with realistic but felt this was a good compromise.














 Here's the pages in the sketchbook/altered book that relate to the stones.

This page tells you the colours used in the piece. They were titanium white, ivory black, ultramarine blue, quinacridone nickel azo gold, quinacridone burnt orange, burnt umber, hookers green, leaf green.
 The cover and bookmarks.
 The rest are fairly self explanatory I think.


 A photocopied photo of a field glued to the page and extended left and right to fill both sides.
 A lizard made of stitch and suspended in a cut out.
 Back of the above
 A secret place holding a photo of a painting that the recipient holds dear.
 Tags, and lizard words.
 A cutaway hole containing a jewelled lizard.


 Collagraph.



4 comments:

  1. I would love to see this and the book in real life, so much work in both of them and I'm sure they'll be treasured. I think I need glasses, I can't see the third lizard :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see the third lizard either - and I put my glasses on !
    The work in this project is amazing - and such lovely results !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hanging, especially the trees and lizards. But I adore the altered book. It looks like you have had some amazing fun putting that all together. Congrats on your wonderful work. I'm sure it will be a treasured gift. Lucky recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about gifts and commissions vs pleasing yourself. I still like doing gifts, although I'm much more realistic in my old age about response to them. Commissions I find I'm not at all interested in. It really does take some of the fun out of it for me to stay within someone else's parameters.

    I love the book too - in some ways it's more spectacular than the quilt, and the quilt is pretty spectacular.

    ReplyDelete