Monday, 25 July 2011

Whatever flower this is, don't grow it!

 I love flowers and this year have had quite a few bees around to visit. More than usual, which is good news.

However, I bought a shrub from the local greengrocers without a name.(the plant not the greengrocer) It was going cheap and I thought I'd give it a go.

It's thriving.  I thought I'd found it's name when I planted it (something beginning with D!!) but now I can't find it again to tell you and warn you off of it.
It's this pink thing on the right. Very pretty, but it kills bees.


I don't think it's intentional as it would be in a carnivorous plant, but bees keep getting stuck in it.  They stick their probuscus' down into the depths of the flower and can't get out again.

I've had to rescue lots by pulling the flower head gently apart and moistening the bee slightly. It's very difficult to do and it almost seems like the sap is acting like PVA glue.

 I've half a mind to put it on the compost!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't a clue where it came from but 'dipladenia' came into my head and I think that's what this is. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/150726/ may take you to an image. Sounds a bit lethal for bees though :-(

    ReplyDelete