Monday, 17 October 2011

Update and a bit of thinking.

Quiet blog but busy me.

Progress on Life 2 (Be The Change You Want), continues. I've just started painting after quite a heavy few hours of stitching.  The quilt is draped over my easel which is why it looks a little distorted!

The words on the body are from an extract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Emile), and the lady is breaking free from the chains that bind her and is stepping out, over the world taking some things with her and leaving some behind.  They have symbolic meaning for me and other women I think. It's a very large piece, so you won't be able to see the detail until it's finished and I've taken better photos.

"Men and women are made for each other, but their mutual dependence is not equal. We could survive without them better than they could without us. They are dependent on our feelings, on the price we put on their merits, on the value we set on their attractions and on their virtues. Thus womens entire education should be planned in relation to men.  To please men, to be useful to them, to win their love and respect, to raise them as children, to care for them as adults, counsel and console them, make their lives sweet and pleasant."   This was forward thinking apparently in 1762!!

I've also done preparatory drawings etc for Life 3 (Switching Off)
I have also been looking at Haiku - a form of poetry that loses a bit in the translation sometimes! eg

In my old home
which I forsook, the cherries
are in bloom.


·  A giant firefly:
that way, this way, that way, this -
and it passes by.

But still, they evoke an emotional response in me, which is a starting point for working on the 3 oriental pieces I'm thinking about for the Redditch Needle Museum exhibition. That together with Chinese wallpaper and I think we have a way forward!  I'm also trying to draw Japanese ladies in a very distorted way and having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...