Friday, 16 December 2011

Free machining with narrative.

I've haven't been able to stitch much in the past week, and must now clear my workspace for other things, so I probably won't be doing a lot more to the landscape piece until the beginning of January.





That being the case, if I'm not back before, A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone who reads this.

 I don't think I've ever done a landscape before and I've found the stitching has turned from abstract pattern to narrative. This means that it's quite heavily free machined, but I've enjoyed the process very much, especially trying to find shapes which join together so there is as little stopping and starting as possible.

The mountains have been shaped to show incline, and to separate one from the other; the leaves veined; the sky gently moved; the grass grown; the water made to  flow; and the trees turned into small forests!!

(left) This is the next bit that has to be finished. I haven't yet resolved the foreshore stitching. It looks blobby with harsh edges which will disappear into a mass of flowers, sand and grass.

The tree, lady, and grass will then be painted.

I don't want to obscure such beautiful fabric either...so will be careful with the painting.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you have described the movement of the stitching I hope you have a very Happy Christmas and a successful and Healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, my talented friend. I'm always in awe of your quilting - the designs you come up with. Those mountains are perfect, making me wonder why I haven't thought to work some of mine that way. Just beautiful already with more to come...

    ReplyDelete