Monday, 12 March 2012

Life 3 - Switching Off . Finished

Finished bar the fiddling and frame.



























The words on the body of this quilt are:

Twelve Songs by W H Auden.
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.


Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crêpe bows round the white necks of the public
    doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.


He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.


The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

8 comments:

  1. Fiddling aside this is fabulous. I really must come and see this irl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really takes my breath away!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another superb quilt - love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, totally breathless - it's stunning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, great quilt- I have been following its progress since I found your blog. Reminds me of some of Lucien freud's wonderful woman! Could I ask if you have any trouble with getting your quilts to lie flat when finished- as it seems you quilted it in sections? I have just had to block'' an art quilt which was heavily quilted. Thanks for your time and I look forward to seeing more. Regards Judith, Australia
    littleswamp@bigpond.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. just to let you know the poem is called 'stop all the clocks' and is part of the collection called 'twelve songs', I believe this is song eleven. Its a beautiful piece, and really matches what you have captured in your image. Stunning x

    ReplyDelete

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...