Friday, 20 April 2012

Life 4 begins

Life 4 has swapped places with Life 5!!

The piece I wanted to do next is still on the drawing board because I'm waiting for a model. So, I've started this piece instead; it's called:

"Hello dear, what have you been doing today?"

The broad outline is stitched, and I'm in the process of thinking about some words for the body - they'll be along feminist lines.

I'll probably start with "well, I did ...then...then..etc followed by, then I worried a bit. I worried about women being over 1/2 the world's population, who work 2/3 of the world's working hours, receiving 10% of the world's income etc (I'm in the process of collecting data) They'll be a bit about body image and striving to be young and thin. Then I shall go on to mention the worry of rape and sharai law, and acid attacks. The background will have lots of recipe books and feminist books and signs saying Home Sweet Home, and they'll be tea and cake and photos of a family. Well, that's the plan thus far anyway. No doubt it will alter a bit as I go along.

Or it might just be about growing old with someone. Do you like the slippers?

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following the work on this piece. I love her slippers. It should be a tribute to all the
    talented women whose work and skills are never valued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to following the work on this piece. I love her slippers. It should be a tribute to all the
    talented women whose work and skills are never valued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the slippers but wonder if they are a happy result of the difficulty of drawing toes.... lols.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I love drawing feet and fingers. The slippers came about as the model was in the studio and despite a thorough pick over and then a vacuum, I was a bit worried about her bare feet and my propensity to drop and not find pins. Turned out to be a very happy thing.

    ReplyDelete

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...