Friday, 20 July 2012

Can you see a pattern repeat?

                                                            
Some people have the sort of brain that can look at a pattern and see a repeat straight away.  I can't. I'm absolutely useless at seeing pattern repeats. Someone in my family is dyscalculic and can't remember strings of numbers, but has an extraordinary ability when it comes to spatial awareness...apparently one of the top 1% in the country...and can throw tessellations around with alarming speed.

When it comes to printing on cloth, I've often wondered how it's done so seamlessly (pun intended) and after Laura Kemshall showed me how on DMTV it's inspired me to have a go.  I can't tell you how it works, not only because that wouldn't be fair (that's how they earn their living after all) but because I don't think I could.  I know what you do (I made extensive mental notes and pressed very hard with my memory pen!) but not a scooby about how it works.




Anyway, I went to Manchester at the weekend and spent an unnatural and unwarranted time in Paperchase. I bought a new silkscreen (huge) and a bottle of black textile printing ink (huge) and these two delightful pieces of paper.





The one below has a pattern repeat that is easy to see and isn't it great?  I can imagine this as discharged black fabric.  The one above, well, I don't know if there is one. Can you see it?




1 comment:

  1. this is exactly the sort of thing that makes my brain hurt :)

    nice patterns but don't ask any searching questions!

    ReplyDelete

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...