Saturday, 23 March 2013

Draped quilt and background mostly done. Still life bit set up.


Miles? Well it seems like miles of washboard stitching on the wallpaper.













Below: Setting up a still life for the table top.















 I'm not sure if all or any of this will find a way into the quilt yet, but it's a start.  As you know from past posts, I'm basing the still life part on the old dutch paintings such as the Harmen Steenwyck's Still Life: An Allegory of the Vanities of Human Life.

The plastic bag in the photo obviously won't be there!!  It's standing in for a skull. Skulls are a universal symbol of death. There will be a clock and possibly a burnt candle. All these things will mark the length and passing of life.

The ostrich egg, is an object from distant lands - somewhat rare I suppose? It's a symbol of wealth but also of birth and fertility.

The books represent human knowledge. My sketchbook is there of course, as is a Germain Greer. The piece is about menopause so I felt "The Change" had earned a place!

The fabric is an expensive commercial piece. That and the teapot and cup and saucer represent life's luxuries and indulgencies.

There is a trug with flowers. Not sure which ones to put in yet. Research shows that sunflowers stand for faithfulness, divine love, and devotion.


The pearls are for femininity and the tablets for ageing and control.

There's also an electric hand held fan.  I expect you can work out the symbolism of that one yourself!!

1 comment:

  1. Well that little shopping list has left me a wee bit speach less! It's quite priceless! 'Nuf said!!

    ReplyDelete

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...