Saturday, 4 May 2013

Time for play

I was reading on Laura's blog about the need to start something new now and then, and I really recognize the feeling!

I've been doing the Life Quilts now for 2 years (crikey) and apart from a short interlude making 3 pieces for the Orientation exhibitions with SixandFriends, I've been fairly single minded about them.

I have a total of 14 quilts planned and now have models I think for most of them.  I am looking for people with interesting feet and legs though for a piece called The Glass Ceiling- let me know if you have a male partner or friend brave enough to show this part of their body in a quilt!!

It'll take me a while to make all the series, but of course, my brain flits around with others ideas and plans too - it's so exciting to have ideas and be carried along with them into the making of new things.

Because the Life quilts will hang together at some point, (I hope!) I've been making them with that ultimate viewpoint, so, things like borders and painting style have been similar. I itch though to do quilts with drawing in them, or simpler more relaxed imagery.  I'm holding fast whilst I concentrate on my main aim, but might just have to work harder, and do some other stuff at the same time.

As you know, I always watch DMTV, and we've been taken through monoprinting and various techniques for the last couple of shows.  Such a pleasure to play with abandon at something unconnected to my job in hand.

As a result of this playing, I bought a gelli plate and have enjoyed using it.  I normally use a sheet of glass. The plate was expensive (about an A4 sized was £33 inc p&p) but worth it for the sheer fun I've had in the last couple of days. I haven't been able to sew as I overdid the gardening and my trowel hand was a bit swollen, so this has kept me amused and focused.





I've been able to draw too, and last night whilst something mindless was on the TV, I attempted the skull of Richard 111 - the one found recently under a car park in Leicester.

It's a fascinating story - they can tell so much from the bones. How he died, his wounds, his health etc. They found for example that Shakespeare was right after all, and he had a hunched back - his spine was quite twisted. 



More portraits

Do you remember Life 6 - Still Life (with an Orange) 

Well, that made me think of portraits and fruit juxtaposed, and led to a spot of silliness by DD.  Mind you, I think there's definitely something to be had in a series of silly portraits.




And just because she's gorgeous, here's an update on Evie :))  Over 6 months old - where did that time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment