Saturday, 10 May 2014

Monoprinting

Having now packed the studio bits and bobs up for Festival of Quilts, I was at a bit of a loss at what to do with what remains.  Anything to avoid housework for a couple of hours.

So I had a go with monoprinting, taking it a step further than last time, by adding text and layers of colour as well.






Egg Tempera:  It didn't work, but I'd made the lettering plate so had another go using acrylics - much better.  I just wanted to find out what would happen using different paints.

The lettering is childs foam lettering which you can stick onto paper etc.  I bought some ages ago, but didn't use it as I realized that everything would come out backward.  A doh moment I'm afraid.....it's exactly what you need for monoprinting!

I shan't be throwing the paper backings away either - screen printing masks!







I like the last best, combining layers of colour and printing, with the thistles.

I went on a walk yesterday afternoon across the fields and there were masses of these thistles. I love the way the leafy pointed bits go up around the outside of the seed head.  I shall have to do a bit more with these I think and develop those leaf shapes.

4 comments:

  1. These are great, I love thistles and seedheads and daisy type flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if these are teasles? They were used for brushing the nap of fabric before the metal 'brushes' were devised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes of course, teasels! Thank you for recognising them.

      Delete
  3. These are very haunting and intriguing images. Gorgeous and lovely work.

    ReplyDelete

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...