Wednesday, 2 July 2014

My little treasure. Why you should make a book for posterity - someone will love you for it.

I know I've said this before, but I like to work in sketchbooks and altered books when I'm not sewing or painting a large piece.  It gives me ideas and lets me store them for future use. It's also enormous fun!

The current one is all about time.

But now I've found another reason for doing one.

My mother gave me a small book recently that was my aunts. She'd inherited it from a family member that I know nothing about - not even when they lived, although I suspect from the costumes, early 1800's.

It's a tie with someone that transcends time and although I didn't know the person, I feel connected -well, just a little bit. They obviously got a lot of pleasure from recording what they saw and thought. Sadly it's hard to read the text, and it appears to be mostly religious extracts.

What a lovely idea it would be if we all made a small book to hand on - things that reflect our time and our feelings.  Someone you don't know, possibly way in the future, will thank you for it.

Anyway, I thought you might like to see some of the book, which sadly, is a bit battered.













13 comments:

  1. Isn't it fab?! I'm thinking I might get Jamie to print me the bird so I can make it into a cushion!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annabel, I think the bird would print beautifully. Just whack it on the scanner and scan it at a high res so we can enlarge it enough for a cushion et voila!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Laura! I've looked at your website to refresh the memory, and it all seems easy to do. I think I could just manage to make myself a cushion! (confession: have I ever made a cushion? no, no, I don't think I have!) It would be quite amazing to take something drawn by an ancient ancestor in 1800 and-freezing-to-death and turn it into a decoration for my own sofa. Cool. A x

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a keepsake. Such talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of the rest of the book is made up of pasted in images from what Id imagine to be parish magazines. Piccies of churches etc. I have managed to trace one possible ancestor to Wales from a newspaper cutting of a marriage - between Burnett and Owen Jones. Trouble is Wales is full of Jones's!! Where do you start without a name, place or date of birth. I think the Owen Jones was in the Church but which one I don't know - Chapel I guess.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful book. It must give you great pleasure to be connected with another artist in your family forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forest is it exactly!! See comment above :) Thanks for your comment Jeanne

      Delete
  4. You are so right. And you are so lucky to receive this. And you are making me feel better about the box of my own journals dating back to high school that I keep moving with me and hope some descendent will appreciate some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect there will be a lot of digital memorabilia from this age, and less and less of the handmade journal and evidence. So I think your ancestors will be pleased with you Sheila!!

      Delete

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...