Sunday, 13 July 2014

Phone call


Last of my summer roses.  Amazing for the tail end of November.  I've spent the weekend sorting out the garden because I'm ashamed that I had left it to it's own devices for so long.  People who know me think that I'm a keen gardener, and I am, but not the sort you see on Gardeners World with a string of names at their fingertips.  I'm a do-er and just like the fresh air, a garden fork, and a manageable task or two.  My latin names are made up, and like Julian Clary, I'm just as likely to name a plant Geoffrey, or Bob, as seems appropriate.

I also had a phone call from an extremely nice lady from a quilt exhibition group at the weekend, asking me if I'd like to exhibit my botanical quilts with them next year.  Well, I don't have any left - fortunately for me they've all sold - and I have no immediate plans to make more just yet.  I'd love to of course, but am having trouble finding the time to do all I would like. (note to self: work on landscape piece!)

Sadly, they were not interested in the Life Series.  For this particular organization, they were a step too far. They were too much of a risk for you all to see I expect, too shocking....perhaps they were worried you'd all faint, or they'd have to answer your emails complaining that they were being irresponsible in showing bodies to the quilting world.  There you go peeps., I was told they were stunning with incredible work and detail,  but not suitable.  I'm going back down the garden to eat worms.

4 comments:

  1. So sad, their loss. I thought shocking and art usually go together? I'm sorry for their cruelness....I think your work is fantastic! I admire your project and your desire to keep with your plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fortunately I'm not too worried as there are other plans for the quilts but they are quilts, it is a quilt show, so why not? There you go... same old story really :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I meant to comment on the beautiful specimen of what looks like Celestite? What ever it is I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's Graham Thomas which is yellow and gorgeous, but these little ones seem to have gone orangey in honour of autumn. x

      Delete

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...