Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Life 16 - a blank canvas

Life 16 - Poisonous Plant


The first thing that happens with a quilt is usually an idea caused by random thought or conversation.

I let it simmer in the old brain for a bit - maybe up to a year - whilst I slowly digest the premise of it.

Life 16 started a few months ago and you can see I've just made a start by deciding on the orientation of the cloth and it's size.  I don't know - which may be unusual,  - how the completed piece will look yet, though I do know which direction I'm heading in!

I put the cloth over my easel a few days ago, but since then have been searching for the right words to go onto the two bodies that will feature in the piece.  Needless to say I can't find any!!

There's plenty of poetry about love and death, but not much about jealousy, or paranoia which is the theme for this one.

Some words I've found which I like:

 Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.

Strong minds discuss ideas,
Average minds discuss events,
Weak minds discuss people  (Socrates)

No matter what you do, someone always knew you would.

Oh, beware my lord of jealousy. It is the green eyed monster which doth mock The meat it feeds on.

Jealousy is no more than feeling alone against smiling enemies.

Gossip is a sort of smoke that comes from the dirty tobacco pipes of those who diffuse it: it proves nothing but the bad taste of the smoker.

But that's all very bleak, and so my favourite so far, which you may think odd at this stage, is by Shakespeare : 

 

I know a bank whereon the wild thyme blows
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows
Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine
With sweet musk-roses, and with eglantine

2 comments:

  1. That Shakespeare quote seems way out of kilter with the others. Intrigued to see how this theme develops ( guessing the poison bottle I spotted elsewhere is linked). How are you? Hope you had a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does seem odd, but will strangely fit when done. Yes, thank you ltw, all is bright and shiny chez Rainbow. Hope you're well and surfeited too! xx

      Delete