Thursday, 12 February 2015

Stitching a wall

Thankfully the dizziness has abated and I have been able to get on with Life 16 - Poisonous Plant.  I've been thinking about perspective for the walls and paths in "my garden."  This all depends on finding an eye-level and working it out from there.  This is quite important because it can give you a different feel for the piece - Are you looking down on the garden?  Are you looking up at the faces?  All that kind of thing.

The easiest way for me to work it out is to put a piece of masking tape on the studio wall, roughly where I want the eye level to be. This is my vanishing point.  I then use more masking tape to position paths, walls etc and see what they look like.  It takes a moment to change of course, and when I'm done I simply run a pencil down the side of the masking tape.

In Life 7 I deliberately skewed the perspective to try and give an odd feeling to the piece. I'm not sure it worked that well, so am sticking to the normal way of doing things!

So, having decided on the perspective, I could start on putting in some bits and pieces, starting with the wall you see above.  I began by lightly sketching the stones of the wall, and then stitching over them.  It became a challenge to do the stitching without stopping and starting - I don't like too many ends!  I'll paint this bit in a bit later when the vegetation is sorted out.

Here's some words: I'm not sure if these are going to be the ones I'll use - still mulling that over.  It's taking quite a bit of research!

A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend; 
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe: 
I told it not, my wrath did grow. 

And I waterd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears: 
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles. 

And it grew both day and night. 
Till it bore an apple bright. 
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine. 

And into my garden stole, 
When the night had veild the pole; 
In the morning glad I see; 
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...