Saturday, 29 August 2015

Sketch book challenge?

I'm going to have a go at the latest challenge here (Facebook posting 27th August)

It's a relaxed friendly approach to filling up an empty sketchbook till it's stuffed with goodies! It'll all take place over the next 3 months - a sort of collection of thoughts and deeds, purchases and inspirations over a given period of time.  I'll have a go and see if I can complete it!!

My "journal" will be called (because I like a name to start with) The Autumn Rainbow. Of course, being me, I've made a start already - not in the book, but in making things around something that's happened in the last couple of days, and which rather appropriately ties in with the idea of autumn somewhat. Leaves.

First of all, I've made a couple of blocks for printing off at a later date, and a lino cut.  These are based on leaves found on wallpaper (you may have noticed I've been doing a spot of decorating)


And, I've done a rubbing or two, and a spot of printing just to see how they might all work. Below are graphite rubbings, and underneath that are two white acrylic prints from the lino cutting. (I love the marks at the sides of the leaf on these that look a bit like bark!)











4 comments:

  1. Your leaf print is wonderful. I too like the way the carving marks look like bark. I am really excited about this challenge. I'm hoping I'll finally start working in a journal instead of just thinking about it. I have been going to email you to tell you how much I love the tea towel I bought. The photos don't capture the richness of the printing and the high quality of the cloth. Thanks for making my Christmas shopping off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeannie, on lots of counts! I'm thrilled that you liked the tea towels and am delighted about your comments on the printing of them and will pass them on to Laura. Good on you for doing the challenge too - great stuff - I'll keep posting my results here and perhaps others might do some postings too.

      Delete
  2. Oooo - nice leaves! When I took a linocut class from Dijanne Cevaal, she noted how much she liked those ghost markings around the main motif too, how much interest they added. At first, I resisted of course - me of the neat and precise aesthetic. But she was right - many of my subsequent ones I've been less particularly about errant marks and have grown to like seeing them show up.

    I should probably follow that sketchbook challenge - I'm just foundering around a bit these days, having a difficult time finding direction - or keeping one once I take off on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you IB. I noted the comment about difficulty in posting, and I'm not sure what's going on. Your comment was in my files waiting to be approved without any problems, so I don't know why it was bounced back to you. Apologies for any confusion! It's difficult to keep going on a project sometimes - doing something completely different to your usual might lift you out of that rut - take a chance and give it a go! x

      Delete

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumble...